45 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN BASEMENT REMODELING!
Basement Remodeling and Finishing
Basement remodeling and finishing are typically our favorite projects to take on. They are fun and tend to be far less invasive compared to other remodeling projects (kitchen remodeling, for instance). A finished basement also adds value to the home and are a great way to have more livable space. Throw in a basement bar and/or bathroom and suddenly you have the perfect place to entertain friends and family as well as the perfect get-a-way. If you are in the Greater Cleveland area and are considering remodeling or finishing your basement, we encourage you to contact us and set up a complementary, in-home design consultation. Not ready, feel free to read on below or check out our portfolio. We’ll be here if/when you decide to move forward.
“…Hiring JM Design Build to complete my basement is one of the best decisions I have made. THANK YOU!!!!!”
– Steve, homeowner in Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221
JM Design Build has finished and remodeled hundreds of basements in Cleveland and it’s surrounding areas. Whether it’s a partially finished basement that needs to be reworked, a finished basement that needs gutted and renovated, or a completely unfinished space, we’ve seen it all. While every project is different, our most popular basement remodeling projects typically include one or more of the following:
- New Floor Plan / Design
- Product Selection Assistance
- Basement Bars and Kitchenette
- Basement Bathrooms Half Baths
- Exercise and Fitness Areas
- Custom Built Entertainment Centers (including audio-visual enhancements)
- Man Caves
- Gun Rooms
- Custom Staircases
- Unfinished Storage Areas
- Finished Closet Space
- Flooring Around Basement Bar or Bathroom Areas (Tile, Slate, Vinyl, etc.)
- Plumbing Electrical Updates
- HVAC and Venting Upgrades
- Drywall Ceiling
- Recessed Can Lighting Fixtures
- Custom Wrapped Beams and Soffits
Basement Remodeling Design Process
Our basement finishing process begins with a free design consultation. During the initial meeting, our design and remodeling experts take a look at the existing space and talk with you to better understand your individual needs and style. Then, depending on the scope of work, we will walk you through various solutions and options (e.g. new floor plan ideas, applicable products, practicality, etc…) that will ultimately be used to provide you with an estimate.
Once the project scope and estimate have been presented to you, you have the opportunity to (and are encouraged to) ask questions and to take as much time as you feel necessary to make your decision.
If you do choose to work with JM Design Build, this is when the fun starts. At this point (again, depending on the nature of the basement remodeling project), you are now open to our entire network of hand-picked suppliers to shop around products and selections, entitled to multiple design revisions, and have the opportunity to have our designers assist you with each and every decision you need to make. Basement finishing can become overwhelming if you choose the wrong contractor–we’re here to simplify things.
Once the major design decisions have been made and product is on order, we will get to work on the actual remodeling process. Typically our basement finishing sequence resembles the following:
- Framing soffits according to approved layout
- Rough mechanicals (any electrical, plumbing, and/or HVAC updates to service the new layout)
- Bath tub / shower unit installation
- Drywall hanging and finishing including ceilings/texturing
- Prime walls and ceilings
- Sub-floor installation
- Custom built-ins, basement bars, entertainment centers, etc.
- Custom staircases
- Finish carpentry and trim work
- Painting and staining
- Installation of finish plumbing fixtures and electrical
- Installation of any accessories
- Final punch list and project closeout
If you’re ready to get started on your basement finishing project, we’d love the opportunity to work with you. Contact us today and see why thousands of homeowners continue to choose JM Design Build for their home remodeling projects!
Basement Finish Broadview Heights, OH 44147
This recently completed project features a gorgeous walk-out basement in Broadview Heights in which we walked the customer through each stage of construction beginning with the initial design. The homeowners are newlyweds and wanted to take advantage of the extra square footage in their Broadview Heights home by finishing their basement.
BASEMENT SPECIFICATIONS AND DETAILS
The couple had gotten engaged during a trip to Ireland at an iconic pub. To honor this monumental day they decided they wanted their basement bar to resemble that of an Irish pub. Accordingly, the basement bar features distinct Irish Pub elements including:
- Sussex II-FP Cherry upper- and- lower cabinetry by Cardell in a dark, smoke finish
- A stone veneer around the bar featuring Baoding Crème Random Rectified backsplash and wall tile from the Tile Shop
- Bordeaux Juparana Laminate Countertops
- Bruce Maple Chocolate Laminate Flooring
In addition to the custom basement bar, which our interior designers strategically located directly in front of the walk-out patio door, the couple now also enjoys a half-bath with tile flooring; a large and well-lit entertainment/theater area; fitness room; walk-in closet; and an unfinished area used for storage.
SCOPE OF WORK
-Provided all necessary prints, permits, and inspections
-Framed basement according to drawings provided using 2×4 studs and treated bottom plates
-Installed rough electrical per drawing to code including 12 recess lights, 2 cable lines, and new outlets and switches
-Installed rough plumbing for half-bath and bar area per drawing to code
-Insulated all perimeter walls with R-13 insulation
-Installed drywall in all finished areas, walls, and ceilings; installed fire-raided drywall underneath staircase
-Taped, mudded, sanded, and primed all drywall
-Painted walls and ceilings 1 coat (owner’s choice)
-Installed standard 6 panel hollow doors per drawing
-Installed cabinets in bar area
-Installed laminate counter-top in bar area
-Installed standard pre-primed base trim and casing where necessary
-Installed tile floor in 1/2 bath and behind bar area
-Installed all finish plumbing fixtures
-Installed laminate flooring in transition area (material provided by owners)
Custom Basement Bar Independence, OH – Basement Bar Ideas Cleveland
Today we bring you a completely customized basement bar in Independence. This bar is truly one of a kind and we were very excited to be selected as the contractor for completing it. The homeowner was a busy man, so he actually hired a friend of his and her fiance to manage the entire project for him. They were in charge of everything from interviewing various general contractors and interior designers in Cleveland to balancing the budget and everything in between.
Basement Bar Ideas, Products, and Solutions
The homeowner had a pretty good idea of what the final product was to look like (it was inspired by his favorite movie), however, it still needed to be tweaked to fit the allotted space in the basement and also to stay within budget. Thus, the couple he hired had a difficult time finding the right basement bar contractor for the job. In fact, they were not able to find one contractor other than JM Design Build capable of producing a workable concept within a reasonable budget–just sayin’.
Also, we would just like to point out that this is actually the second bar in the homeowner’s basement–did we mention it is almost 20 feet long? Entertaining friends, family, and business associates was a very important part of his life and therefore invested heavily in ensuring his ability to provide a unique experience. Everything was custom built and stained, a majority of the material coming from Summit Millwork in Cuyahoga Falls, including the slots on the bar front and the soffit made specifically for the vibrant and illuminated onyx panels by Lumonyx.
This ‘super swanky‘ look was traditionally found only in casinos and nightclubs, but lately, it seems it is becoming more and more popular in residential installs as its application becomes more and more widespread. In fact, in addition to bars, we have installed these onyx panels on stair risers, countertops, and much more. Caveat–if you are interested in this product, be prepared to reach for your wallet, and please be sure you have a highly skilled contractor ready to install it. These panels are extremely expensive and provide no room for error when installing. However, the bold look they bring is hard to put a price on.
Custom Bar and Basement Finishing Independence – Scope of Work
While nearly everything here had to be custom built, there was a general process we used to complete the project which we have outlined for you below:
- Remove existing carpeting, ceiling tiles in new bar area, and demo existing closet
- Cut up floor to access plumbing
- Install rough plumbing
- Install rough plumbing per drawing to service new bar area
- Frame for television inlay on left side wall of bar (tv specs provided by homeowner)
- Install electrical to service new bar area, including 5 GFCI outlets, LEF lighting behind lumonyx panels, and 3 fixtures above bar (fixtures provided by homeowner, option to install 3 lumonyx panels suspended from ceiling at no extra charge)
- Install cable line and outlet for television
- Install up to 8 recess cans in ceiling where tiles were removed
- Construct and install custom made bar cabinets per drawing, provide access to water main in corner cabinet
- Install hardware on cabinets (provided by homeowner)
- Install lumonyx panels on front of bar (provided by homeowner)
- Homeowner responsible for glass shelving installation
- Home owner responsible for granite/countertop installation
- Install sink, fixtures, and appliances (provided by homeowner)
- Construct l shaped bench in far corner of basement, homeowner responsible for cushion
- Install hardwood floor in new bar area, approx 650 sq ft (flooring provided by homeowner)
- Fur down ceiling and install drywall in new bar area
- Tape, mud, and sand drywall
- Paint walls one color and trim of new bar area in basement
- Stain and poly custom built cabinets of bar and bench one color
- Remove all garbage, rubbish and debris
BASEMENT FINISHING CONTRACTORS – RICHFIELD OH 44286
This Basement finishing project turned out absolutely wonderful. The Richfield, OH homeowners now enjoy a custom designed basement bar / kitchenette, a living and entertainment area, beautiful windows, a walkout basement door, a custom designed full bathroom with tile flooring and granite vanity tops, a bedroom complete with an egress window, new storage areas, and a custom-built staircase with open handrails on each side!
BASEMENT DESIGN RICHFIELD OH – SPECIFICATIONS AND DETAILS
These homeowners had been contemplating finishing their lower-level for a while and first reached out to JM Design Build for help with their initial basement design ideas. As you can see from the first concept our interior designers came up with, we proposed to take advantage of the homes above ground basement–this meant cutting out areas of the block foundation to install windows and a sliding door–effectively turning it into a walk-out basement. A majority of the initial concept remained the same, however there ended up being additional work, or change orders. These change orders included a basement bar/kitchenette area and a full basement bathroom.
PRODUCTS AND SELECTIONS
The rough framing material, 6 panel textured pre-hung doors with satin nickel hinges, poplar balusters for the staircase, and Jeld-Wen low-e windows with a white aluminum exterior and clear pine interior were all purchased from Terry Lumber and Supply in Peninsula, OH.
The basement bar cabinetry brand is Merillat Essentials Mountain Mist and the granite is called Blue Pearl Granite and was purchased from Stoneworks in Bedford Heights. The flooring and other miscellaneous materials were purchased from Home Depot.
ORIGINAL PROJECT SCOPE – BASEMENT REMODEL RICHFIELD OH
- Frame lower-level areas as specified with owners using standard 2×4 material
- Update/install electrical to service new area to code including 20 recessed lights and 2 cables
- Insulate all perimeter walls
- Hang, tape, mud, sand and prime all new drywall
- Install new stairs and trim stairway to match existing
- Trim all doors and windows to match existing
- Install 7 double-hung windows (match upper level)
- Install 1 six-foot sliding door
- Install laminate flooring throughout entire finished area (owner to provide flooring material)
- Install new standard casing as needed
- Install 2×4 decorative-tile suspended ceiling throughout finished area
- Build soffits around existing ductwork/mechanical areas
- Paint all new drywall 1 coat (owner’s choice)
CHANGE ORDER 1 – INSTALL NEW BASEMENT WINDOWS AND DOOR
- Install four new fixed insulated high-performance glass window approximate 30 in X 60 in with grids
- between glass
- Install two 30 inch half round windows high-performance glass
- Install 15 in by 90 in transom with high-performance glass over rear existing windows
- Open and reframe openings install support headers
- Insulate, tape reinstall rear exterior siding to match existing
- Install interior oak trim to match existing
- Stain woodwork finish wall and paint as needed
- Install interior four-piece French door and one 36 in French door
- Frame and trim new areas
- Paint door and stain trim to match existing
CHANGE ORDER 2 – INSTALL NEW BASEMENT BATHROOM
- Frame for full bath area
- Install and update all electrical to service new area to code
- Re-work plumbing for new area
- Hang new drywall on all walls
- Tape, mud, sand and prime drywall
- Install standard tile on bathroom floor
- Install vanity and new toilet
- Install faucet and shower head
- Install new tile racks
- Install light/exhaust fan combination
- Install new vanity light, new mirror and overhead storage cabinet
- Paint walls 1 color and 1 coat (owner’s choice)
- Install base trim and door to match existing
- Install egress window
- Frame for storage and closet area
Basement Finishing – Strongsville, OH 44149
Finished in the Spring of 2012, this basement features a gorgeous kitchenette/basement wet bar, a full basement bathroom, a custom built entertainment center, office area, a guest room, and an open staircase with custom railings, spindles, and balusters.
The family wanted a place to hang out together that could also accommodate family and friends during various gatherings and holiday’s throughout the year. The basement was completely unfinished when we arrived for our first consultation. However, the homeowner’s had been planning and researching their ideal finished basement for over 5 years and were very well prepared. While they knew what the wanted, they needed some coaching on laying out the basement in the most functional and economical way.
The basement design we came up with met their needs and also fit into their budget and thus we were able to produce a great product for them. Below is a basic outline of the work completed.
SCOPE OF WORK – STRONGSVILLE BASEMENT FINISH
-Framed lower-level area for storage, bath, sitting, office, and kitchen bar areas
-Installed all electrical, plumbing and mechanicals to service new areas to code
-Installed fan-light in bath area, ground-faulted outlets, 3 cable, 14 recess lights, and 2 smoke detectors
-Framed for basement bath area to be complete with 5′ tile shower, tile floor, vanity, and water closet
-Framed for basement bar area to be complete with approximately 12 feet of custom cabinets, bar sink, raised bar area, granite countertops, and tile floor
-A Custom built-in cabinet for TV area made out of poplar hardwood complete with doors and drawers as specified with homeowner
-Insulated all perimeter walls and ceilings and bath area
-Drywalled all soffits, side walls and ceilings
-Installed panel entrance doors into closet, bedroom, bath, and storage areas
-Installed 5″ wood baseboard and 4″ casings
-Installed handrail and banisters at bottom both sides of steps
-Primed and painted all walls and ceilings 1 coat (owner’s choice)
BASEMENT FINISHING – BROADVIEW HEIGHTS, OH 44147
This particular Cleveland basement finishing project eloquently features a custom designed bar, playroom, entertainment area, recreational area, and offers plenty of room for additional storage. Part man cave, part entertainment, and part children-friendly, this basement meets each of the homeowner’s needs with sleekness and style.
BASEMENT SPECIFICATIONS AND DETAILS
Essentially, the homeowners were tired of under-utilizing such a large area of their home and wanted to maximize the space available in order to bring out its full potential. The key requirements of the customer’s were a custom built bar with cabinetry and granite counter-tops, a playroom for their little girl, adequate storage space, and an entertainment area with custom installed surround sound.
JM Design Build’s designers spent several hours working out the measurements and came up with the following floor-plan/layout for the homeowner:
As you can see, the project (as is almost always the case) takes on a life of its own as the final details get fleshed out. But overall, the final product resembles the original concept almost identically (other than the choice of paint colors and flooring). This particular basement remodel took approximately 6 weeks to complete. approximately 6 weeks. The state of the art entertainment area was inspired by Home Theater Concepts, while most of the other materials used were purchased either from our network of suppliers or from Lowe’s or Home Depot.
BASEMENT FINISH – SCOPE OF WORK
-Framed entire area complete with storage area, playroom, and main living area with 2×4 framing and treated plate (all framing to code)
-Installed electrical to service new areas complete with 14 recess lights, 2 cables, and outlets and switches to code-Installed sconzes on side wall, entertainment wall, and at bottom of steps-Installed dimmer switches for bar area and entertainment area-Installed speaker and surround sound system
-Hung and mounted T.V.’s
-Installed door in storage area and underneath steps
-Insulated and drywall entire finished area (does not include ceiling)
-Taped, mudded, sanded, and primed all drywall-Installed base trim and casing where necessary
BASEMENT FINISHING CONTRACTORS PARMA, OH 44134
This case study, completed by Cleveland contractor JM Design Build in 2011, was a complete basement finishing project for a homeowner in Parma, Ohio. Needing some extra space for the soon-to-arrive baby, the young married couple wanted to maximize the amount of room available in their previously under-utilized basement in order to free up additional room on the main level to better accommodate their child. Included in this Parma basement remodel is a custom built basement bar with tile flooring, an entertainment area, a full basement bathroom with a custom built walk-in shower and tile surround, a home office with internet and cable, and plenty of unfinished/storage room.
PARMA BASEMENT REMODEL SPECIFICATIONS AND DETAILS
This particular basement was completely unfinished when we first met with the couple for their free 30-min remodeling consultation. At the time, the couple knew they would be expecting a child rather soon and wanted to get the house ready and free up some space. The basement is approximately 1,100 Square Feet, or 26′ x 42′, so we knew we had some room to work with when we designed a concept that incorporated all of their needs and wants.
First on the priority list: a home office so the expectant mother could still work during and after the pregnancy. Also on the list was a full bathroom (to be used when additional family would come to town), a custom bar for entertaining guests, and a general media/living room area. As well, the couple wanted to make sure there was plenty of additional storage space and an unfinished area for laundry. As you can see from the floor-plan below, our team of the best interior designers in Cleveland came up with an awesome layout:
PARMA BASEMENT FINISH – SCOPE OF WORK
While there was a lot more to this project than meets the eye in terms of the actual construction process, the general outline of work completed is as follows:
-Framed approximately 13′ x 41′ area using standard 2×4 construction and treated lumber for floorplates including separate areas for a full bath, bar, and a home office
-Installed R-13 insulation on all perimeter walls
-Installed all electrical to service new area to code including 12 recess lights, 2 cables, an exhaust fan in the bathroom, and new switches and outlets (including laundry area)
-Installed plumbing for the new bathroom and bar sink to code
-Extended air supplies to bath and office area
-Hung drywall on all new walls and ceilings including moister control (green-board) drywall in the bathroom
-Mudded, sanded, taped and primed all new drywall
-Painted all walls and ceilings 1 coat (owner’s choice of color)
-Installed standard new trim and 6-panel doors from Terry Lumber Supply as needed
-Installed all cabinets, hardware, and counter-tops in bar and bathroom areas according to the approved layout
-Installed tile in bar and bath areas
The Cleveland Brown’s Man Cave – Home Remodeling Cleveland
Ah–man caves. The quintessential haven of masculinity and the perfect (albeit temporary) escape from reality. Today we are happy to offer a glimpse of that escape with a very cool Cleveland Browns Themed Man Cave we recently designed and built in Macedonia, OH 44056. This particular man cave was part of a complete basement finishing project that also included a custom bar, a full basement bathroom, a kid’s room/playroom, a gun-room, and more.
Man Cave Design Ideas Cleveland – Products, Features, and Designs
Among the cooler features of this manly hideaway are the multi-platformed theatre seating areas, the custom-built entertainment center featuring a retro-fitted TV projector screen, and the 4 custom wood columns built symmetrically on the side walls that our carpenters made out of solid oak. However, as they say, the beauty is in the details. In addition to these more noticeable features, this Cleveland Browns Man Cave also boasts the following:
- Arched doorways into the man cave
- Build second-row platform for
- Storage space for audio equipment inside the entertainment center
- Custom bar top made of oak flooring with supports for a 3rd level of seating
- Custom built cabinetry with raised paneled doors/drawers on
- entertainment center
- Surround sound by Audio Visions in Strongsville, OH
- Three levels of seating
- Custom detail on the columns including recessed panels and custom wainscoting around the perimeter walls
- 4 separate lights with dimmer switch
- Custom soffits built symmetrically on each side of the room
Collectively, these features (along with the framed Bernie Kosar jersey), cultivate the perfect environment to recharge, regroup, and re-enter reality–after the next Brown’s game of course.