About the Author: Jennifer Parker is a handy woman to have around the house. She manages a home improvement blog in the living, design, and decor niches and also writes for HomeAdvisor and Floor and Decor. Jennifer’s work can be found on various interior design and remodeling blogs around the web.
The Advantages of Remodeling Your Kitchen
As many people can attest, preparing food in a small kitchen can be a real pain. While you may want to simply enjoy the experience of creating delicious meals for yourself or your family, you quickly find yourself frustrated by trying to navigate through tight areas. Or, perhaps worse, end up performing amazing feats in order to share the space with your family or friends while simultaneously making a meal. No more Cirque du Soleil style acrobatics for you: It’s time to consider remodeling your kitchen.
Although you’re probably itching to get this project started, stop for a moment and give some serious thought to a few key factors. The details I have provided below will dictate exactly how much you can do in the area of home improvement and are just a few of the important questions you will want to decide on before the project begins:
- What is your budget?
- Is this a DIY project or will you need help from professionals?
- How much of the space are you looking to expand?
- Are you designing the kitchen with a family in mind?
- Will you use your kitchen for entertaining guests?
- What are your plans for living without a kitchen during the remodel?
- Should you prepare your neighbors for the project?
- Will your homeowner’s insurance be affected?
Cool and Smart Additions
Among many other challenges of a small kitchen, there are the problems of little to no storage space and the struggle to fit large pots and pans into your sink. You can achieve more storage options by planning for it in the new design of your kitchen. These two simple but incredibly useful items are perfect additions to any kitchen.
- Half-moon Lazy Susan – This add-on consists of two shelves that slide out anytime that you open your cabinets. It is a convenient item to have so that all your cooking ware is within reach. You can avoid wasting time digging for the right skillet in the pile of pots and pans.
- Goose-neck Faucet – When you’re struggling to wash food or dishes in your sink, this faucet comes in handy. The faucet stands tall enough so that items of varying size can fit into your sink. It also boasts a sprayer that pulls down, unlike stationary faucets.
- An Open Layout – Choose a layout that will give you ease of travel in your kitchen. An open kitchen is much more functional than a restricted one. Take advantage of any available space. This will help in avoiding the likelihood of accidents that may occur as a result of running into someone with hot food or a sharp knife in hand.
Update Your Look
A small, out-of-date kitchen can be slightly depressing. Although it may be quite the eye-sore, your outdated kitchen can also be a source of inspiration. Enduring the torture of cooking while you stare at that tacky wall color is enough to drive anyone towards design genius–resulting in a much better look for their kitchen. The same rules about planning ahead apply when updating the aesthetic aspect of your kitchen.
Details like which countertops, cabinetry and flooring to choose will have an effect on your budget. You’ll want to find items that are pleasing to the eye and to your wallet as well. You may be surprised at how much money you can save by searching for low cost and creative ideas while not having to compromise on your overall look.
Remodeling your kitchen will be a rewarding experience in the end. You will gain the benefit of a less hectic space that is free of clutter and ultimately much more attractive. Take these suggestions into consideration and begin planning the kitchen of your dreams.
Image URL Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yvestown/5225986333/
Kitchen Remodeling Contractors Cleveland – JM Design Build
JM Design Build is a trusted kitchen design firm and remodeling contractor in Cleveland. If you think it’s time to seriously start considering a kitchen remodel or would like to learn more about our services, please contact us today for a complementary kitchen design consultation.