JM Design Build, a general contractor in Cleveland OH, shows you 8 simple steps for building efficient, cost-effective shelves to give you the extra storage space you need in your garage or basement.
Remodeling in Cleveland OH – DIY Tips
Building Extra Storage Space – Steps 1-5
1. Lay two pre-cut 2×4’s parallel to eachother on the ground, leaving 3 feet and 9 inches space between them.
2. Make a mark at 30 inches, pulling from each end of the 2×4.
3. Cut Pre-cuts into 4 different 3’9 pieces*.
4. Nail one 3’9 2×4’s to each end of the pre-cuts, as well as at both of your 30 inch marks.
5. Repeat steps 1-4
*The 3’9 pieces of 2×4 plus the 1.5 inches of the pre-cuts, should add up to give you a width of 4ft.
6. Cut two pre-cut 2×4’s into 6 ft pieces and make a mark at 3 ft on each of them.
7. Nail your first row of shelves to your mark at 3 ft, and your second at the top, making sure it is flush.
8. Screw in a full sheet of 4′ x 8′ plywood on the top of each of your shelve frames.
Let us know if you have any questions, enjoy your extra space!